Thursday, October 28, 2010

Counter Point:Perspective

With this counterpoint exercise I chose "Word" as my form, and "Building." I chose the Salisbury Cathedral. The word I chose was "Verticality" for the purposes of explaining the over -all design of the gothic cathedrals. The point was to reach towards Heaven, to be close to God, to make man seem small in comparison (a sign of humility, a desired trait among Christians). I chose a few perspective views of the interior, as well as one image to depict the exterior view showing the spire, the arches, and the over design. That image also included nature, and its setting among the landscape. I showed symbol in the plan view showing the double cross, of course symbolizing Christianity. I showed people worshiping in the space. I also chose an image to show materiality when depicting the cloisters...concrete. Stained glass is also shown as a material in the pictorial view of the interior of the cathedral.

No comments:

Post a Comment